Mark Moore Gallery is now hiring a full-time Gallery Manager. This position is a unique combination of tasks typical of both a Preparator and a Registrar – which affords the individual diversity in his/her daily activities as well as opportunities for professional development. We seek a highly organized, self-motivated individual who has previous Preparatory experience, and may have experience with Registrar tasks – or be interested in learning more administrative skills. Please find below a full description, required skills, and overview of position tasks:
The Gallery Manager’s primary focus is all things relating to gallery artwork inventory. This full-time position will oversee many different elements relating to the artwork’s handling, documentation, installation, shipping, and various locations – as well as working with artists to determine exhibition needs. The Gallery Manager also has the opportunity to assist both Directors with client presentations, and conduct independent sales (with are entitled to commissions, if completed) – if desired. General tasks and responsibilities include:
- Being physically present in the gallery Tuesday-Saturday (11am-6pm), and positioned at the front reception desk.
- Overseeing and devising timeline/logistics for gallery exhibitions, consigned exhibitions, and any art fairs. This includes maintaining a checklist for proper deadlines relating to receipt of work, shipping, framing, and installation (which will also be provided to exhibiting artists with upcoming shows), being in regular communication with artists, venues, and shippers, as well as advising gallery staff of all shipping needs. This position will also update the inventory locations of all works in various gallery systems and online platforms – and enter all new artworks as they come into the gallery’s possession (in addition to proper inventory labels).
- Touching base regularly with gallery artists to coordinate inventory swaps and returns.
- Executing all preparatory needs: wrapping/boxing works for storage and shipment, installation of shows, lighting works in the gallery, and deliveries as needed.
- Maintaining a meticulously organized and accessible “back room” – which houses all of the gallery’s onsite storage and artworks – as well as overseeing the offsite storage inventory.
- Updating and creating consignments and loan documents for inbound and outbound works, and being in touch with various venues to coordinate returns upon expiration.
- Gathering shipping estimates for clients, and booking shipments for all sold works.
- Pulling works for client presentations, and assisting with presentations as needed/desired.
- Previous preparatory/art handling experience
- Excellent organizational abilities/sense of order and cleanliness
- Ability to self-manage, create deadlines, and plan ahead
- Decent written and verbal communication
- Collaborative spirit and ability to work with a team
- Comfort with computer systems and email
- Previous administrative/Registrar experience
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with ArtBase/GalleryManager/GallerySystems, etc.
- Ability to present information/speak to groups
Information pertaining to compensation and employee programs is provided during interviews.
Please send resumes and inquiries to email@example.com – do NOT call the gallery about this job listing.
The gallery is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
This listing will remain active until the position is filled. Applicants will be contacted via email for an interview, if appropriate for candidacy. The gallery may not confirm receipt of each application.